Dapol 7F-100-008 Brake Van BR Bauxite - Even Plank Nr 556051 - O Gauge
The SR 25 ton ‘Pillbox’ brake van was constructed around the mid 1930s and was an advance on an earlier shorter wheelbase van, being heavier with a better ride and a more effective hand braking system.
Brake vans and their associated guards were a common sight at the rear of goods trains and ensured that the hand brake was applied at the appropriate time (most wagons did not have vacuum braking or through brake lines controlled from the locomotive), for maintaining oil lamp based signals to the driver of the train, to station personnel and signalmen and to ensure the train was operating correctly and safely from his vantage point (via especially constructed side duckets) at the rear of the train.
This type of brake van operated until the 1950s and several examples survive into preservation.
- Extremely detailed and accurate body shell and chassis
- Many separately added fine details
- Sprung metal buffers
- Metal sprung coupling hook and three link coupling
- Finely pro led wheels and axles with brass bearing pockets
- Superbly applied livery
- Viewing Duckets accurately modelled
- Pristine Finish